Thursday, October 2, 2008

Day 6: We have so much to learn from the poor.

Today has been an all around amazing day. 
My doggie actually posed for a picture,

 which she NEVER does!

 I went to the Culinary Academy today. WOW, thats really all I can say, it is amazing there. I am scheduled to start in January '09. Its amazing the things they can teach you to create, and the places you can take it. 
Then, when I got home, I check my email, and I had an email from Caitlin, the Social Media Manager, from TOMS! I was and am seriously pumped. It reaffirms my statement that they are amazing people.
But even with all that, the  highlight of my day, was helping someone else. As simple as getting this man a meal, made him like everyone else, if only for a little while. I'll admit, I left TWLOHA because I felt like I was being called to help the homeless. Today I feel like I cam a little bit closer to that goal. For some reason, Homeless people scare me, but once I get to know them (like Mike and Paul) I'm fine. I was really afraid for the man today, he was sitting, actually sitting on the curb on Hwy 27. so we brought him some food, and it brought me to tears how thankful he was. I think he was in shock at first, and just said thank you and God bless over and over again. I can't imagine how he was feeling, or how hungry he was, he sat back down on the curb with a big smile in his face as we drove away. It hurts my heart that the "solution" that our towns have come up with, is to run the homeless out, not assist them. I am reminded of Brandt Russo and his arrest for not having "permission" to witness and live among them. What has our country been reduced to? I love Mother Teresa's story, and her words. 

"Look in the faces of the poor in the bustees, in the slums and you will see them smiling. They may have no food in their swollen bellies, no roof over their head, but whatever they have they will share with others who are poor like themselves. They are not alone because they have each other. We have so much to learn from the poor." 

 The next time we see someone who is homeless, lets not jump to conclusions, Lets not say, "they are only going to buy drugs or alcohol." Give them the benefit of the doubt, or go buy them a meal, or even better give them Mcdonalds Dollars. Personally, I am not a believer in seeing someone who is homeless, and (having $$ on me) refuse to give it to them/buy them a meal, but say hey it will get better, lets say a little prayer (Don't get me wrong, I believe in prayer. and if you don't have any $$ on you, this is a HUGE thing to do) and then say peace out! "and one of you tells them, "Go in peace! Stay warm and eat heartily." If you do not provide for their bodily needs, what good does it do?" - James 2:16 

May we all have the compassion of Christ.
 
"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." - George Washington Carver.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

that's beautiful. thank you for sharing.